When I go out to restaurants and order a black bean burger… 75% of the time I am so disappointed. A really great black bean burger seems pretty hard to find in a city that tops food charts in just about everything. That’s why I was so thrilled with this recipe!! I found it originally on myrecipes.com and tweaked it a bit… it is so EASY and so QUICK! I usually double this recipe and wrap and freeze the rest of the burgers for a quick weeknight dinner! Enjoy!
- 2 oz. breadcrumbs (I love four sisters and a brother bread crumbs, they are a healthier option, can get them at HEB)
- 2 tsp. diced garlic
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 full lime rind
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 habanero, diced (use 1/2 if you like less spicy, but I like a little burn:) )
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Combine 1 tbs. olive oil, garlic, habanero, and beans in a processor. Pulse until the beans make a thick paste. Combine in a large bowl with breadcrumbs, lime rind, lime juice and all the remaining ingredients. Then, form the mixture into patties.
- Spray olive oil spray into a nonstick pan, or drizzle olive oil and heat. With the heat on medium, add patties to the pan and cook on each side about 3 minutes, or until browned.
- These are great served with avocado, cheese, and lettuce!! If you are freezing the patties, wrap them each individually in saran wrap and store in a container in the freezer! They will last up to 6 months!