My last post of 2016!!!!! I don’t know about you, but I am SO ready for this year to be over. The end of this year was such a stressful time with all of the holiday parties and social engagements, I am just ready for January to be here! Since we have been going non-stop lately, we decided to make this New Years a really relaxed one. Tonight we are having a Lucky Peach potluck dinner party! If you read one of my previous posts with the slow cooker pho recipe, you know how obsessed I am right now with this cookbook, and why I decided to close the year with some really tasty dishes from it!
I have never really been a huge new years eve person, so the idea of a potluck dinner party was perfect for me. I am having some of my friends bring things from the book like miso eggplant, Sichuan cucumber salad, japchae, and I took my own new years spin on their mapo tofu dish. I absolutely love this type of cooking. To me, it’s almost dummy proof – the seasonings and sauces that you use allow you to make mistakes and still, it all comes out amazing.
Since it is new years eve, I dolled up the mapo with a must – black eyed peas. I love the bite and flavor this gave the mapo. Also, since I am Louisiana bred, I added okra, because I just love it. I have to say, I loved the outcome of this dish so much, it is probably going to become a regular at my house. The other nice thing about this recipe is how simple it is. I really didn’t have to work hard at all, and the outcome was so flavorful!
Oh my gosh the flavors in this dish…. UNREAL! I had to go to an Asian supermarket to get a few of the ingredients, so make sure you know that ahead of time!
Happy and healthy New Year everyone!!!! May next year be even better!
- 2½ lb. ground pork or beef
- 15 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cup chili bean sauce
- 6 Tbsp. fermented black beans
- 6 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 tsp. rice vinegar
- 6 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 9 green onions, diced
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 6 Tbsp. Sichuan peppercorns
- 2.5 lb. okra, chopped
- 16 oz. black eyed peas, pre-cooked
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Begin by combining the meat, garlic, chili bean sauce, fermented black beans, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and green onions in a large bowl. Mix well and then set aside.
- Heat the peanut oil oil on high in a large wok, and once it is hot pour the peppercorns in. Cook for about 30 seconds until they start to pop and then remove from heat and strain, keeping the oil for later.
- In the same pot you used for the oil, saute okra until soft (about 10 minutes), then remove and set aside. Using the same pot again, add in the meat and cook until it's no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Then, add in the black eyed peas and okra, and cook another 10-15 minutes. Season with some of the chili oil you made, until you like the heat level. Add in salt if needed.
- Transfer into a serving dish and top with green onion for garnish. Option here to serve over white rice. Enjoy!